If you are looking to grow succulent and healthy marijuana and other plants indoors with absolutely no help from the sun, the secret lies in the High- Performance Sodium (HPS) grow lights. HPS grow lights are the leaders in terms of efficiency.
Just as their name suggests, these lights use high-pressure sodium, ceramic metal halide, or metal halide. They are designed to operate at high frequencies, meaning that the current and temperature are perfectly balanced and kept constant.
With that in mind, we have reviewed the best 10 HPS grow lights to help you pick the right one. With the huge number of options available out there, it can be quite difficult landing a good one, but with our reviews, your shopping will be easy and seamless.
- Hydro Crunch DE02-1000-ROPE 1000-Watt Double Ended HPS Pro Series
- CMH 315W/630W CDM 120/240V Grow Light Kit Bulb & 120V
- iPower 1000-Watt HPS Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Kits Air Cooled Reflector Hood Set
- HTG Supply 400-Watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Complete Grow Light
- Hydroplanet Grow Light Fixture HPS 150W Complete System with Hydroplanet Lamp- HPS Plug and Play Grow Lamp
- iPower 1000-Watt HPS Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Cool Tube Reflector Set XXL
- Vivosun Hydroponic 600 Watt HPS MH Grow Light Wing Reflector Kit
- Grow co. 1000W Pro Series Controller Compatible DE Fixture
- Sun System Grow Lights – HPS 150W Complete System with Ultra Sun Lamp
- iPower 600-Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Kits Wing Reflector Set
- Choosing the Best HPS Grow Light- The Ultimate Buying Guide
Hydro Crunch DE02-1000-ROPE 1000-Watt Double Ended HPS Pro Series
If you want to optimize your indoor growing experience while increasing yields, you need to invest in a good light system. The Hydro Crunch Double Ended 1000-Watt Pro Series should be your new gardening companion. The premium pro- series is such a trend setter in the market. It comes in a pack complete with electronic ballast, reflector, bulb, and adjustable light rachet. More so, it has hooks for easy hanging of the lights with no installation needed.
With its quality airflow features, the ballast will run 20% cooler as compared with the magnetic ballasts. The Hydro- Crunch reflects 96% of uniform lights spectrum to the plants for healthy growth. And to add the cherry on top. The ballast comes with a 2-year limited warranty. This light is perfect for growing weed indoor.
- Great quality light that runs extremely bright
- Reflector runs 20% cooler and concentrates all the light on the plants
- Ballast comes in a 2-year warranty
- The open style reflector design may leak light
- The reflector looks cheaply made
- Bulb may blow up quickly
CMH 315W/630W CDM 120/240V Grow Light Kit Bulb & 120V
This light is perfect for your indoor hydroponic system. With a high temperature that provides the light that is close to the sun. It Operates efficiently with an amazing performance. This light comes with two 3100k bulbs that provide full light spectrum that can be used in all stages of plant growth.
Furthermore, the hood can be adjusted from narrow to wide, which is perfect for plants with different heights and thickness. This light effectively produces about 33000 lumens per 120v/240 v, which will save you on LED’s additions. If you have a wide growing area, this is the perfect light because it offers a well-balanced footprint. This is a perfect light for a cannabis garden as the CMH light makes the buds pretty thick.
- Great light for growers on a budget
- Burns at high temperature creating light close to that of the sun
- The ballast is adjustable. Therefore, the footprint can be easily angled
- Bulbs have a lifetime of 10, 000 hours making the degradation time less than 50%.
- Because of the high temperature, the bulbs can easily go off
- Bulb runs pretty hot
iPower 1000-Watt HPS Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Kits Air Cooled Reflector Hood Set
The iPower 1000-Watt is just the light you need for you hydro- garden as it will cover you from the seedling to flowering stage. The HID provides about a lot of lumens per energy output, which means more value for money. Because it doesn’t require LED’s, incandescent or fluorescents additions it saves on money. The digital dimmable option is also super cool as it can be adjusted from 50%, 75% up to 100%.
Because of the optimized balanced spectrum, the light will be absorbed well by the plant’s chlorophyll and therefore promote a healthy plant life cycle. Additionally, it comes with a 6’’air duct that enhances inline air cooling, therefore protecting the plants from excessive heat. With a super 8 feet long stainless-steel rope, you can easily use it for your convenience. This grow light comes with a 12-month warranty.
- All-inclusive quality grow light kit
- Has premium, heavy-duty hangers that are adjustable
- Provides a wide, well-balanced spectrum of light
- Needs a fan or ventilating system since the heat produced is a lot
- Light can interfere with the cable TV
- The light housing is not 100% sealed, and therefore you can experience some hot air leakage
HTG Supply 400-Watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Complete Grow Light
The HTG Supply is a household name and a preferred brand by many. It’s not only rock-solid reliable, and fairy priced but also comes in a cool, versatile design. If you love innovation, then you will be amazed by this kit, it has an open-air remote system that enables the ballast to be situated outside the grow area to alleviate the excess heat. While the split- cell housing maintain coolness and heightens the performance.
This kit comes with a special horticulture bulb that maximizes plant growth and an aluminum reflector that allows uniform light spread all over the garden. For an out of the box use, this kit is just ideal.
- Has innovative open-air remote air ballast with additional keyhole features for easy mounting
- Rock Solid reliable and fairy priced
- Great quality light kit and comes with a bulb
- It might be an overkill for a simple seedling garden
- Hardwired from ballast to wall and ballast to hood
- It’s not dimmable
Hydroplanet Grow Light Fixture HPS 150W Complete System with Hydroplanet Lamp- HPS Plug and Play Grow Lamp
Total Reviews - 139
Review Score - 4.1
Item is on SALE !!! 72% discount will save $180.00 (72%)
Do you have a greenhouse or a hydroponic garden and you need a reliable light system? The Hydroplanet Grow light is what you are looking for. This kit is of high quality and has amazing features. It has an easy set up that which allows even distribution of light all over your garden, and that promotes high yielding healthy plants.
On top of that, this kit features 150W HPS double-ended bulbs that supply your plants with a good amount of light. The vented housing does a great job in terms of mitigating heat with a back on/off switch. This is a quality kit with excellent magnetic ballast that offers great performance with an easy plug and grow system.
- Quality lamp system that comes at an attractive price
- Easy installation for a DIY set-up
- It’s small compact with a good looking- design
- Might come with broken or loose bulbs that might be difficult to replace
- It’s quite small therefore might not be adequate for a very big garden
- Might be a little slower to show results
iPower 1000-Watt HPS Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Cool Tube Reflector Set XXL
This light is perfect, especially for a vegetable garden because it has a dimmable feature. More so, it’s perfect for indoor weed growing. You can simply dim the 1000W with these options; 50%, 75%, 100%. The kit package contains 8 feet long heavy-duty power cord that ensures flicker-free light.
The 8’’ cool tube reflector with XXL wing will maximize light reflected to the plants and prevents heat stress. In fact, it’s ideal for growth tents. Furthermore, there is an in-built fan that minimizes ballast heat. Conveniently, there is a 30% more lumen production than in a standard magnetic ballast.
- The hanger clip makes raising and lowering easy
- Runs very smoothly and quietly
- Ready out of the box use
- The reflector sits loosely; it does not mount well
- Bulb may blow up easily
- Produces way too much heat
Vivosun Hydroponic 600 Watt HPS MH Grow Light Wing Reflector Kit
If you want a flourishing harvest to consider a high performing and stable light system. Vivosun Hydroponic set might be the right choice for you. It comes with a cool dimmable digital ballast with a fan cooling system that helps maintain desirable temperature for your plants. Furthermore, the ballast is tiny and runs quietly.
This kit is amazing on plants that are at the flowering stage. This is because the reflective unit provides light of up to 98% ensuring no dead spots, which is perfect for plants. It has stable, adjustable locks that are rust-free, tear-resistant and multifunctional. Vivosun kit is a complete set that functions without overheating with a long bulb life.
- Has a dimmable ballast that dims 600-Watt light down to protects young plants
- Quality and worth every dollar
- It covers the whole process of plant growth
- The wires from the ballast are cheaply shielded and therefore, can create radio and electromagnetic interferences
- You need additional fun for cooling as it can run hot
- The bulb socket runs a bit weak
Grow co. 1000W Pro Series Controller Compatible DE Fixture
Double Ended (DE) lights are perfect for greenhouses or indoor hydroponic gardens. These are popular for both commercial and small-scale gardens as they use the same wattage as the standard HID grow lights. More so, they produce 19,000 more lumen output compared to the single-ended grow lights. Up to 100 fixtures can be achieved with just one controller.
These lights are gaining popularity among serious grows and hobbyist gardeners as well. This is because light degradation is less slow than the standard grow lights. The fact that the ballast is filled with nitrogen means that the thermal conductivity is better; therefore, better operation frequency. This light has a yield lab powder coating that prevents corrosion. They come in a cool rough texture design that increases their aesthetic value while at the same time allowing even distribution of light to all plants.
- Quality, Solid design, and great performance
- Well priced providing value for money
- Has dimmable features that can be adjusted to fit your preference
- Produces excess heat which might be too much for smaller gardens
- No cooling options need additional fans or AC
- Dimming a lot might make the light lose its expectancy
Sun System Grow Lights – HPS 150W Complete System with Ultra Sun Lamp
If you are looking for a great supplementary light for your small garden, then the Sun System has you sorted. This light is easy to use and compact. It is also very lightweight, which makes it easy to carry around. Furthermore, the Sun System is an out of the box use it comes already installed.
Amazingly, the bulbs provide 16,000 per power output with the desired color spectrum for the whole garden set-up. This grow light is ideal for vegetables, flowers, and plants like cannabis. It has a nice design with a white powder finish that makes it rust-free. It also has a durable housing with hooks for hanging. The lamp comes with a 1-year warranty.
- User-friendly, compact and lightweight
- Versatile and runs smoothly
- Very bright but uses low amperage
- Does not come with the hanging system, only the hooks
- The bulb turns the room yellow which can be visible from outside
- Non- discrete shipping boxes
iPower 600-Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System Kits Wing Reflector Set
Are you a hobbyist indoor grower and looking for a good light bulb for your plants? Look no more as the iPower 600 has you covered from the seeding stage to flowering. This light is efficient as it produces more lumens per watt but with a lower heat output and power consumption.
With this light kit, there is absolutely no need to mix the incandescent and fluorescents or even LED’s, therefore, eliminating additional costs. It has a well-balanced optimized spectrum that promotes healthy growth of plants. Surprisingly, this light is fairly priced and will make your plants bloom like crazy.
- Great quality product at a fair price
- Produce a higher rate of lumens per watt
- The ballast is very high and sleek and runs smoothly
- Cannot be used on a badly ventilated room
- Bulbs need to be replaced after several heavy grows
- They do not have the most excellent PAR efficiency
Choosing the Best HPS Grow Light- The Ultimate Buying Guide
If you are a gardener and planning to have your own indoor garden — whether for marijuana or other plants, you need to invest in HPS growing lights solution. But we know that it might be confusing when it comes to choosing the best HPS to grow light, so we have done a number of factors that you need to consider before making a purchase.
Type of Garden
It is important to consider the type of garden to know the ideal light for you. It can be an indoor garden without any natural sunlight or a green-house with glass. Because some plants are short-day plants, they don’t really require a lot of light, especially in summer, if they are planted in the greenhouse.
In light of the growing system, some lights have advanced climate, humidity, temperature, nutrition. All this allow average growers to get high yields. Some lights need additional cooling, oxygen, and CO2.
Budget of the HPS Bulb
Unfortunately, bulbs go off and need replacement once in a while. Because of this reason, you would not want to be caught off guard with your bulb blowing up in the middle of a grow. The fact that you might be on a budget does not mean that you should go for the cheapest bulb the market has to offer without ascertaining on the quality.
Fortunately, there are a lot of good brands that offer quality bulbs at a relatively attractive price. iPower offers budget bulbs at a cost-effective price, and they come with wattage options as well.
Ballast is a component of light equipment that powers the grow light; therefore, it’s important to buy the right one. Ballasts are magnetic, electronic, or digital. Digital ballasts use the latest technology to monitor and stabilize the voltage received by the bulbs, therefore, preventing the bulb from exploding due to excessive overheating. Digital ballasts are the best. They are compatible with most bulbs, they run smoothly and cooler, they use less power, and yet they produce high light intensity.
There are some questions you need to ask yourself when choosing a ballast; does it have a dimming ability? Does it have bulb protection? Does it have an electromagnet shielding? Is it versatile? All these criteria will help you make a good choice.
Using a reflector does not only help in improving the focus of the HPS light but also save the bulb life. There are two types of reflectors, open style and air-cooled. The air-cooled reflector has vents on each side that run air to the reflector. It captures hot air keeping it away from the plants. The open styled reflector is designed to make plants get as much air as possible. It has a cool feature that allows you to adjust the light close or far away from the plant. This style is ideal for indoor plants.
Double-Ended (DE) vs. single-Ended (SE) HPS bulbs lights
Another thing you need to consider when buying a grow light is the choice between single or double-ended HPS lights. Single-Ended lights have been in the market for many years, use the Edison screw thread. They are easy to install and significantly cost-effective and cheaper to maintain.
Double Ended lights, on the other hand, provide a high photosynthetically active radiation (PAR), which is great for flowering buds. Double Ended lights are 25% more resourceful and efficient. Although they last longer, they are more expensive as compared to the Single Ended lights.
It’s important to keep the size of your garden into consideration. If you have an indoor garden, the number of lights to be installed will be determined by the space. It is recommended to check the wattage ratings vs. the coverage. Power watts range from 250, 400, 600, 1000. For an average indoor garden that accommodates 9-12 plants, a 600-Watt is ideal.
HPS grow lights maybe look simple in design, but they play a big role, especially for your indoor gardening. They not only supplement light but also generate lumens necessary for the growth of indoor plants. With this review, you should find it easy to choose the best quality HPS to grow light for a beautiful, thriving garden.